Alternative nicotine products lead to reduction in smoking rates: report
简介Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstra ...
Alternative nicotine products can have a "significant" impact on reducing smoking rates as demonstrated by case studies in Japan and Sweden, a report showed Friday.
In a policy paper dubbed “Safer Nicotine Works,” Tholos Foundation said it has found that alternative nicotine products, ranging from snus, nicotine pouches and gum to vapes and tobacco heating products, help people quit smoking cigarettes.
Japan saw smoking rates, those that smoked cigarettes daily, decline from 19.8 percent to 17.8 percent in just two years between 2017 and 2019 after tobacco heating products were introduced to the market in 2016, the report said. The rate had dropped less than 2 percent over a 14-year period from 2003.
In 2020, the number of male smokers plummeted to below 30 percent for the first time in history. THPs’ launch there also led to a 32 percent drop in cigarette sales in the five years to 2021.
Sweden attributed its decline in smoking rates to snus -- small pouches like tea bags that stick between the upper lip and gum -- and nicotine pouches, as well as taxation on tobacco products. Sweden is the only member state of the European Union that permits the sales of snus.
Close to winning the title of the world’s first “smoke-free” country, Sweden recorded a smoking rate of 5.6 percent in 2022, the lowest in Europe. The rate of those that smoked daily halved from 11.4 percent in a decade.
The research concludes that the alternative nicotine products can be a realistic, less harmful solution to reducing smoking rates.
The foundation issued the paper jointly with Japan-based Pacific Alliance Institute and Sweden’s Scantech Strategy Advisors.
Separately, South Korea’s smoking rate is steadily declining alongside a growing THP market.
THPs, which first entered the Korean market in 2017, took up about 27.8 percent of the nation’s tobacco market this year, according to the Korea Health Promotion Institute’s National Tobacco Control Center.
KT&G’s lil, Philip Morris’ Iqos and BAT Rothmans’ Glo are some of the THPs sold in Korea.
The Seoul Metropolitan Government on Sunday announced it would launch autonomous overnight buses for ...
Mirae Asset Global Investments, an asset management company under Mirae Asset Financial Group, named ...
"OnStage," a weekly music show on Naver that has been praised for discovering indie musicians and ex ...
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- N. Korea slams Japan's plan to move up US missile purchase as 'arrogant choice'
- BOK expected to stand pat this week over growth risks: experts
- [New on scene] Hong Xa
- Choo calls for end to protectionism, supply chain recovery during G20 meeting
- S. Korea entering 'recovery phase' amid geopolitical uncertainties: Choo
- SK to hold CEO meeting in Paris
- S. Korea joins ICRC's major donor group for 1st time
- TXT shatters records, tops charts with 3rd LP
- S. Korea to review additional measures against N. Korea's arms transfer to Russia
- 내년 총선, 정부여당 견제론 44% 지원론 44% '동률' [NBS]
- Dunamu CEO set for third term
- City becomes attractive when social minorities are empowered: Seoul mayor
- Samsung renews CSR push for multicultural families, seniors
- Zyx Technology donates CAD software to Sungkyunkwan University
- 이원욱 “이재명, 최강욱 징계 반발하는 개딸과 이별해야”
- 6 pct of executives in S. Korea's top 100 firms women: data
- Court orders Japan to compensate ‘comfort women’
- 한동훈 “나는 스타장관 아니다, 여당 아닌 야당이 날 띄우는 것"
- Story of first female leader of traveling entertainers reimagined
- Remaining BTS members to head to military
- SK, Hilleman team up to develop next
- Seoul shares almost flat after Fed minutes, Nvidia results
- [Today’s K
- [From the Scene] Incheon Airport goes global to Batam, Indonesia
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- [Herald Interview] Former Treasure member Bang Ye
- 이상민 “민주당 지도부 아무도 연락 없어, 어느 정도 마음 정했다”
- PKM Gallery sheds light on Toby Ziegler, Kwon Jin
- ‘Gorpcore’ a global validation of Korean ajeossi’s fashion instincts?