[Contribution] Korean food captivates global palates
简介By Chung Hwang-keunMinister of agriculture, food and rural affairsThe world has fallen deeply for Ko ...
By Chung Hwang-keun
Minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs
The world has fallen deeply for Korean food. Ram-don, an instant noodle dish featured in the movie Parasite, was sensationally popular in 2019, and more recently, a brand of frozen kimbap has been selling out within just one month of release at a major grocery store in the United States.
The craze for Korean food does not end there. A Korean restaurant in New York was ranked first among all the restaurants in the US listed in the World’s 50 Best Restaurants in 2022, and nine out of the 72 Michelin-starred restaurants in New York are Korean food restaurants.
The 2023 Overseas Hallyu Survey, which was conducted on local consumers in overseas countries, found that K-food was the most influential Hallyu brand, outranking K-pop and K-drama.
K-food's brand power has led to an increase in export volumes of Korean agri-food products. Amid a slowdown in international trade, where the World Trade Organization revised down the world trade growth forecast from 1.7 percent to 0.8 percent this year, the export volume of Korea’s agri-food products increased by 1.2 percent by October from the previous year.
This year's export volume is expected to reach a record high, surpassing last year’s $8.8 billion. This is a meaningful outcome that was made possible both by agri-food exporters’ efforts to expand their presence in the global market and by the government’s support in marketing strategies using Hallyu content and discovering various buyers.
K-food now has to go beyond being a temporary fad and settle in major global food markets including the US, the EU and Asia. Kimchi V freeze-dried kimchi blocks won an Innovation Award at SIAL Paris, an international food trade show, in 2022, and gained the attention of Europeans pursuing convenience as a food that can be cooked easily and conveniently.
The localization strategy of highlighting the appeal of K-food and tailoring the food to local consumers’ preferences has worked well in the global market. As part of the effort to localize K-food, the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs plans to provide Korean agri-food exporters with information on consumption trends in the global market.
The government will also strengthen its support for food localization ranging from product development to branding.
In addition, the Ministry will make efforts to strengthen the global competitiveness of Korean food so that everyone in the world can enjoy not only K-food but also Korean food culture.
To this end, we will work harder to ensure that more Korean restaurants operating overseas gain Excellent Korean Restaurant certification, and play a representative role in promoting K-food to the world. We will also work together with top chefs at home and abroad to develop menus that may be loved by local consumers.
We also plan to enhance the international status of Korean food by hosting a prestigious international gastronomy event in Korea, and expand the consumer base of Korean food among tourists by linking K-food to Korean culture and tourism. Based on all of these plans, we will develop our Measures to Strengthen Global Competitiveness of the Korean Food Industry by the end of this year.
The literary scholar Umberto Eco said that the diversity of a people’s language and ethnicity is reflected in the food. K-food well represents the identity of Korea, and is full of diverse charm, ranging from young and energetic street food such as kimbap and tteokbokki to fine dining food with a taste drawing on a traditional culture thousands of years old. The K-food craze of the youth of the world is built on those charms. K-food will be on everyone’s table in the near future.
Chung Hwang-keun is South Korea's minister of agriculture, food and rural affairs. The views expressed in this column are his own. – Ed.
South Korea is set to record the lowest number of first graders entering elementary school next year ...
오세훈 서울시장이 16일 중구 서울시청에서 열린 국회 행정안전위원회의 서울시에 대한 국정감사에 출석해 의원들 질의에 답하고 있다. 뉴스1오세훈 서울시장이 “TBS를 없애버릴 생각인 ...
South Korea’s mobile app store operator One Store said Tuesday that it has secured an investment wor ...
- Hanwha inks $2.6b deal to ship more K9 howitzers to Poland
- Reeling from election loss, ruling party picks new leader posts
- Welcome Daehakro Festival lights up Seoul's stage hub
- HiteJinro to produce soju in Vietnam
- S. Korea, Canada sign MOU on climate change cooperation
- USS Carl Vinson deploys for Indo
Rural development expert nominated as agriculture minister
北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
MBK chairman makes donation to promote Korean art at New York's Met
SC Bank Korea CEO nominated for fourth term
Yoon replaces 6 ministers ahead of his 3rd year, general election
Cast of ‘Norma’ says opera difficult to sing but easy to enjoy
- Yoon says improved relations between S. Korea, Japan are people's will
- Dansaekhwa master Park Seo
- [Herald Interview] Alex Olle’s realistic reimagination of opera ‘Norma’ keeps art form alive
- Le Sserafim to release first English single 'Perfect Night'
- [Herald Interview] Indonesia's Aladin Bank CEO eyes digital banking partnerships with Korea
- S. Korea may decide to increase medical student quota as early as next week
- S Korea, UAE agree to increase bilateral flight ceiling to 21 per week
- Election watchdog faces calls to apologize after failing security test
- GS Caltex, Posco team up on biofuel
- 한 경기도 안 뛰고 병역 면제?…국감 오른 아시안게임 '병특'
- Solo Korean trekker found dead in Himalayas
- 35 foreign individuals to be awarded for promoting Korean culture
- The branch of South Korean left blaming Israel for Hamas attacks
- 與 "고물가로 민생 어렵다면서 돈 풀자는 이재명…모순덩어리"
- 인재영입위원장에 이철규 내정…김웅 "윤심만 영입하겠단 것"
- Jungkook, Red Velvet, Stray Kids, new YG girl group among year
- Asiana Airlines to sell cargo biz to smooth merger
- PPP launches special committee on plan to include Gimpo into Seoul
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate freeze
- Open hatred of Jews surges globally, inflamed by Gaza war
- JCS says N. Korea might have provided Russia with short
- 통일부 “남북 간 장기간 연락 중단 유감…정상화 촉구”
- Embracing setbacks: KAIST students vie for the inaugural 'worst failure' crown
- Supreme Court acquits ex
- S. Korean military detects signs of NK supplying ballistic missiles to Russia
- Police turn to AI to predict crimes, drug tracking
- J.Y. Park and Kim Wan
- 北고려항공, 베이징으로 주 3회 비행…정기 운항 복귀 한 듯
- US Fed keeps key lending rate unchanged for second consecutive time
- SPO and Lim Yun