[Korea Beyond Korea] In Sao Paulo, horizons expand for Korean studies
简介In another indication of the Korean language’s rise here, students applying to major in Korean last ...
In another indication of the Korean language’s rise here, students applying to major in Korean last year had the highest average grades, out of seven possible choices under the USP’s Department of Oriental Languages and Literatures, Kim shared.
At USP, students choose their major after completing their first year of general humanities study, and their choice is determined by their academic performance.
Currently, there are 104 undergraduates majoring in Korean, after the quota of students per year was lifted to 25, from the previous 20.
Aside from the pressing need to increase the number of faculty members commensurate with the expanded enrollment, USP’s 10-year-old Korean program finds itself at a critical juncture, particularly concerning the career paths of its graduates.
“How our graduates carve out their place in society with their Korean skills and knowledge will serve as an important barometer for the future standing of the department,” the professor said.
Student Bruna de Carvalho Giglio, in her senior year, has a pretty clear sense of what she wants, with an eye on pursuing a master’s or doctoral degree.
“In the future, I want to do scientific research on common misunderstandings, or errors, made by Portuguese native speakers when they first learn Korean,” she said.
Having always been interested in languages that seemed unfamiliar to her, Giglio discovered Hangeul at around 13 or 14 years of age.
“I was intrigued by the power and potential of Hangeul, and how it can be adapted as a writing system for many other languages,” she said, referring to the Korean alphabet created by the 15th-century King Sejong with an aim to help improve literacy among ordinary people.
Literary translation is another path Giglio is interested in. She is the co-host of a podcast titled "Sarangbang" on Korean literature, the first such program launched in Brazil with a focus on Korean literary works.
Asked to name some of her favorite Korean authors or books so far, she mentioned, among others, acclaimed Korean children’s book author and illustrator Baek Hee-na. “Some of her books have been translated and published here.”
비명(비이재명)계 5선인 더불어민주당 이상민 의원(대전유성을)이 3일 탈당을 선언했다. 이 의원이 지난 11월 23일 오전 서울 여의도 국회에서 열린 외교통일위원회 전체회의를 나 ...
An umbrella group for those in dog meat industry in South Korea has vowed to hold a protest Thursday ...
South Korean stocks ended more than 1 percent higher Tuesday, as investors were buoyed by the latest ...
- Day laborers, low
- Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
- Hyundai Motor bolsters global partnerships through Expo campaign
- Volvo EX30 debuts in Korea
- North Korea threatens consequences after South Korea launches 1st spy satellite
- Seoul reviews scenarios for restoring guard posts in DMZ
Inaugural Korea Picture Book Award honors Kim Jung
Hanwha Ocean developing submarine stealth technology
KT SAT to adopt Starlink for enhanced maritime internet
Dog meat group threatens to release 2 million dogs near presidential office
Day laborers, low
BOK likely to keep policy rate unchanged on slowdown, hope for Fed's rate freeze, easing inflation
- Stalking crimes could lead to up to 5 years in prison custody
- Bass Youn Kwang
- 야당, 노란봉투·방송3법 강행…여당, 필리버스터 예고
- ‘Gyeongseong Creature’ to lead year
- "중동사태, 특등 전쟁상인 美 때문"…불법무기상 北 적반하장
- 야당, 노란봉투·방송3법 강행…여당, 필리버스터 예고
- 尹 대통령 “새마을정신 되새겨 혁신과 창의로 뭉쳐야”
- [Herald Interview] Kiss of Life continues to describe different aspects of freedom through music
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- 장예찬 "이상민 탈당에 깊이 공감…민주당 고쳐쓰기 불가능"
- Govt. posthumously confers state medal on late Ven. Jaseung
- Minho of SHINee to hold first solo fan concert in January
- [New in Korean] Bae Myung
- 尹대통령, 이동관 방통위원장 사의 수용했다…"면직안 재가"
- [Hello Indonesia] Indonesian developer aims to build self
- Industrial output, retail sales, investment all fall in Oct.: data
- [Herald Interview] Samyang CEO envisions elevating K
- [Today’s K
- Leeum Museum to restore Korean artifacts from overseas institutions
- Seoul shares open higher on Fed's rate pause hopes
- 49th Seoul Independent Film Festival to screen indie Korean animations
- [KH Explains] KG Mobility looks to turn to annual profit for 1st time in 7 years
- 북·러 또 무기거래? "나진항에 석달새 대형선박 18척 드나들어”
- Consumption slows down amid high rates, inflation
- 홍준표 "엑스포 박빙 보고…尹 파리 출장가게 한 참모들 징계해야"
- CHA to expand assistance for buried cultural heritage excavation
- BM of Kard to return solo with single ‘Lowkey’ this month
- [Global Finance Awards] Shinhan chief makes big ESG push
- [Global Finance Awards] Going global essential in era of digital finance