Exports gain 2.2% from Nov. 1
简介South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing de ...
South Korea's exports rose 2.2 percent on-year in the first 20 days of this month on growing demand for semiconductors and vehicles, data showed Tuesday.
Outbound shipments reached $33.79 billion in the Nov. 1-20 period, compared with $33.07 billion tallied a year earlier, according to the data from the Korea Customs Service.
Per-day exports also went up 2.2 percent on-year to $2.18 billion during the cited period, it added.
Exports grew for the first time in 13 months in October. They advanced 5.1 percent on-year to $55 billion, driven by rising chip sales in the global market.
Imports fell 6.2 percent on-year to $35.21 billion during the first 20 days of November, resulting in a trade deficit of $1.4 billion.
The growth in exports was led by upbeat global sales of South Korean semiconductors and vehicles.
Exports of semiconductors, a key export item, advanced 2.4 percent to $5.41 billion during the first 20 days of this month.
It marked the first time since September last year that chip exports logged on-year growth during the first 20 days of a month.
On a monthly basis, semiconductor exports have fallen for 15 months in a row since August 2022 through October amid the industry downcycle.
Chip exports accounted for 16 percent of the country's total exports.
Auto exports surged 20.1 percent on-year to $3.76 billion.
Shipments of petroleum products inched up 0.4 percent to $3.05 billion, and exports of electronics jumped 25.6 percent to $430 million.
But steel exports fell 9.5 percent on-year to $2.23 billion, and those of auto parts fell 3.6 percent to $1.14 billion.
By destination, exports to China, the top trading partner for South Korea, fell 2.4 percent to $7.23 billion.
Exports to the United States, however, jumped 15.7 percent on-year to $6.59 billion during the cited period, and those to Vietnam climbed 1.4 percent to $3.11 billion.
Exports to the European Union lost 4.1 percent to $3.18 billion, while those to Japan increased 10.8 percent to $1.63 billion.
"Semiconductor sales are forecast to mark on-year growth this month, which would help lead the growth in overall exports," an industry ministry official said.
The government has expected exports, the country's key economic growth engine, to bottom out and gradually recover and vowed all-out efforts to support exporters. (Yonhap)
LS Cable & System, South Korea’s leading cable manufacturer, said Monday it had launched a new Power ...
SK Bioscience said Wednesday that the company signed a memorandum of understanding with Hilleman Lab ...
Samsung Group affiliates introduced a new corporate social responsibility program offering support t ...
- 폰에 '파이팅' 문자 있는 여성 끌려갔다…北, 청년에 이런 단속
- [KH Explains] Why Apple's iPhone15 is selling better in Korea than China, Japan
- LG Display appoints LG Innotek chief as new CEO
- Culture minister says admission to state museums requires public discussion
- 이재명 "여·야·정 정책협의체 제안…간병비 급여화 서둘러야"
- [Herald Interview] ‘Digital paradigm shift to VR will happen 2026’
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- Seoul shares up for 3rd session on Fed's rate freeze
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- Man wins W1.4b, putting to bed legal battle surrounding wife’s death
- Bedbug fear spreads across Seoul
- Bedbug reports cause jitters across S. Korea
- LG CNS, NYC, AmCham Korea forge partnerships on digital transformation
- 8 in 10 favor removing mandatory camera shutter sound: survey
- Woori Bank establishes Bangladesh regional headquarters
- [Weekender] Pop
- SK Pharmteco bets big on cell, gene therapy
- [Coffee Klatch] Unique mugwort tea latte paired with flower cakes, dango
- NiziU wins best pop video at MTV VMAJs
- Supreme Court dismisses Buseoksa's appeal in Bodhisattva statue ownership dispute
- [KH Explains] A look back on Lee Jae
- Italian architect Franco Mancuso donates archives on Korean Pavilion at Venice Biennale
- Posco, HBIS Group complete steel sheet plant in China
- Samsung Biologics quarterly sales hit W1tr for first time
- Olympic medalist ‘tricked’ by fiance
- Jeonju offers self up as destination for fall reading retreat
- Seventeen 1st K
- 北, 러시아 외무장관 방북 발표…이달 18~19일 방문
- Seoul shares open sharply lower on US losses
- 北, 日의 장거리미사일 조기 배치 추진에 “전쟁국가 일본 실체”
- Architect Dominique Perrault's 'Lightwalk' displayed at French Embassy in Seoul
- 탄약 찾는 러…국방부 "北컨테이너 적재량, 포탄 수십만발 분량"
- Han Kang's novel shortlisted for 2 prestigious French awards
- Revamped 'Sister Act' with diverse cast gets ready for international premiere
- Seoul International Pride Film Festival kicks off on Nov. 2
- Hyundai Motor posts highest Q3 earnings on upbeat US sales