US renews concerns over N. Korea
简介The US Department of State reiterated its concerns Monday over military cooperation between North Ko ...
The US Department of State reiterated its concerns Monday over military cooperation between North Korea and Russia, as Pyongyang is gearing up for a space rocket launch to put a military spy satellite into orbit.
Pyongyang has notified Japan's Coast Guard of a plan to conduct the launch between Nov. 22 and Dec. 1, Japanese media reported, despite Seoul's warning against what would be its third such launch attempt this year.
"I will say that our concerns about North Korea's ballistic missile program and other military programs are well known, our concerns about the transfer of technology between Russia and North Korea -- whether it's Russia providing North Korea with technology or whether it's North Korea providing arms to Russia -- are also well known," Matthew Miller, the department's spokesperson, told a press briefing.
"Those transfers in some cases violate multiple UN Security Council resolutions, including resolutions that Russia itself voted for, and we will continue to monitor them closely and take whatever actions are appropriate with our allies in the region to monitor and respond to North Korea's destabilizing behavior," he added.
Miller reiterated the position when asked to comment on South Korean President Yoon Suk Yeol's remarks in an interview with The Telegraph, a British daily, that China is likely to consider that pursuing cooperation with North Korea and Russia, which have violated UNSC resolutions and other international norms, will not be helpful for its reputation.
"I will just say that our position is very clear, which is that Russia should not supply North Korea with technology that would violate UNSC resolutions, (and) North Korea should not supply Russia with arms that it can use to prosecute its war of aggression against Ukraine," he said.
"That is our position with respect to any country in the world," he added.
Pyongyang's launch plan comes amid speculation that Russia might have provided military technology and support to the North in return for the North's supply of military equipment and munitions for use in the war in Ukraine.
The North initially planed to make a third launch attempt in October following two botched launches -- in August and May. But it did not press ahead with the plan last month, raising speculation that it might need more preparation time. (Yonhap)
South Korea successfully launched a solid-fuel space rocket carrying a small commercial satellite in ...
Tajikistan Ambassador to Korea Salohiddin Kirom advocated for a strategic partnership between South ...
The rival parties called Monday for the government to come up with countermeasures against Beijing ...
- Seoul City to operate autonomous night bus
- [Korea Beyond Korea] Korean Studies gaining traction at Complutense University of Madrid
- Inaugural Korea Picture Book Award honors Kim Jung
- P1Harmony expands reach in US with iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
- Seoul Art Center highlights next
- Fractional art market opens up to lure new investors
- Arrest warrant issued for ex
- Over 84% of cattle got vaccines against lumpy skin disease
- More mosquitoes in Seoul this fall: report
- [Today’s K
- Japan returns favor again by flying 15 Korean nationals out of Israel
- [Herald Review] ‘Iron Mask,’ a rare kendo film filled with wordless yet powerful scenes
- Naver CEO satisfied with 'better
- Quake shakes northwest Nepal, killing at least 128 and injuring dozens
- Blinken redoubles calls for humanitarian pause in Israel
- NTOK Live+ to screen latest plays from UK, Netherlands
- STX to supply lithium with South American partners
- National Museum of the Annals of the Joseon Dynasty to open in Pyeongchang
- Han Kang wins prestigious French award for foreign literature
- AI in your pocket: Samsung Galaxy S to feature real
- ‘험지 출마’ 압박받는 장제원, 4200명 운집 산악회로 세 과시
- 이동관 탄핵땐 방통위 1명 남아, 방송 재승인·재허가 올스톱
- 야당, 노란봉투·방송3법 강행…여당, 필리버스터 예고
- 윤 대통령, 오스틴 美국방과 만찬 “北, 하마스식 도발땐 단호히 응징”
- [New on the Scene] Joo Jong
- Journey to Joseon scholars' timeless dwellings
- 노조에 파업 손배 청구 힘들어져…재계, 노란봉투법 통과 강력 반발
- [From the Scene] 20
- Kakao CEO apologizes for SM stock manipulation allegations
- Yoon's approval rating falls for first time in 3 weeks to 34.7%
- Park Bom to return with new single ‘I’
- 검사탄핵안 이어…야당, 이번엔 검사 좌표찍기
- [Herald Interview] Singer
- Berliner Philharmoniker visits Seoul for first time in 6 years, joined by Cho Seong
- 尹 대통령 “새마을정신 되새겨 혁신과 창의로 뭉쳐야”