163 S. Koreans arrive home from Israel on military aircraft
简介More than 160 South Korean nationals arrived home from Israel aboard a military aircraft late Saturd ...
More than 160 South Korean nationals arrived home from Israel aboard a military aircraft late Saturday, the foreign ministry said, after an armed clash broke out between the Jewish state and the Palestinian Hamas group.
A KC-330 military transport plane carrying 163 South Koreans landed at Seoul Air Base in Seongnam, just south of Seoul, at 10:45 p.m., the ministry said.
The plane flew to Israel on Friday and departed from Tel Aviv early Saturday.
The plane also brought 51 Japanese and six Singaporean nationals, as part of Seoul's efforts to provide humanitarian cooperation, the ministry added.
It marked the first such transportation of South Koreans by a military plane and the second flight to bring South Koreans home from Israel following the return of 192 people aboard a Korean Air plane Wednesday.
The government decided to dispatch the military plane as air carriers increasingly suspended flight operations to and from Ben Gurion International Airport in Tel Aviv amid the intensifying conflict, officials said.
Japanese Foreign Minister Yoko Kamikawa and Koichi Mizushima, Japan's top envoy to Israel, expressed gratitude to the South Korean government for the emergency transportation of its people, according to Seoul's foreign ministry.
Of the 163 people on board, 82 were short-term travelers, while the rest were residents.
About 470 South Koreans remain in Israel. Most of them are residents living there long-term and have chosen to stay behind of their own accord, a foreign ministry official said, adding the diplomatic mission there continues to advise them to leave the area for safety.
Roughly 630 South Koreans had been staying in Israel before the military plane took the people aboard.
No South Korean casualties have been reported since the conflict began.
A rapid response team consisting of foreign ministry officials also boarded the military plane to assist with the transportation, the ministry said. (Yonhap)
An anonymous memo was found Tuesday claiming that a bomb had been planted at Hongdae subway station, ...
Netflix Korea's popular dating reality show "Single's Inferno" has returned with its third ...
Hanwha Aerospace said Monday it has signed a $2.6 billion contract (3.45 trillion won) to ship 152 K ...
P1Harmony expands reach in US with iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
Can 'Singles Inferno' boost basketball's popularity?
'Single’s Inferno Season 3' returns with no
Korean War veteran’s daughter named veterans affairs minister
[Korea Beyond Korea] Korean Studies gaining traction at Complutense University of Madrid
North Korea threatens consequences after South Korea launches 1st spy satellite
- [Subway Stories] Traditional medicine's healing legacy lives on at Jegi
- Major retailer recalls over 50,000 pairs of shower shoes due to chemical hazard
- Hyundai Rotem debuts world's 1st LTE
- Culture minister vows greater scrutiny over arts funding
- Gov't to complete vaccination of cattle by Nov. 10 to prevent spread of lumpy skin disease
- US needs 'strategic clarity' on North Korea deterrence: report
- Police slap travel ban on suspected con artist, ex
- 신원식 “나도 육군이지만, 합참의장은 해군 시켜야”
- Yoon, Kishida receive JFK award for mending stalled ties
- Seoul shares open lower ahead of Fed meeting this week
- Hana Bank to offer W100b in support for small business owners
- Volvo expands presence in Korean market
- 8 in 10 favor removing mandatory camera shutter sound: survey
- Unauthorized AI
- Woori Bank establishes Bangladesh regional headquarters
- [New in Korean] Even in city overrun by mold, humans dream of stars, sunsets
- LG CNS, NYC, AmCham Korea forge partnerships on digital transformation
- Gimjang tours make kimchi
- Following an Israeli airstrike, crowded Gaza hospital struggles to treat wounded children
- N. Korea vows military action after US missile test
- Bedbug fear spreads across Seoul
- The Beatles release new track ‘Now And Then’ after 27 years thanks to AI
- 5 S. Koreans from Gaza arrived in Egypt via Rafah border: ministry
- N. Korea diversifying cybercrimes amid drop in value of cryptocurrency: report
- Hyundai, Kia report robust EV US sales, shrug off impact of IRA
- 尹대통령 지지율 1%p 오른 34%…국민의힘 34% 민주당 33% [갤럽]
- Asiana to sell cargo biz to help Korean Air win EU approval for takeover
- Seoul shares up for 3rd session on Fed's rate freeze
- Yoon says fake news threatens freedom, elections at AI Safety Summit
- Over 84% of cattle got vaccines against lumpy skin disease