Prosecutors seek 5
简介The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yon ...
The prosecution on Friday demanded five years in prison for Samsung Electronics Chairman Lee Jae-yong on charges of stock price rigging and accounting fraud connected to the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates.
Prosecutors also requested a fine of 500 million won ($387,000) for Lee during the final hearing at the Seoul Central District Court.
Lee is charged with stock price rigging, breach of duty and accounting fraud in the course of the controversial 2015 merger of two Samsung affiliates, Cheil Industries and Samsung C&T Corp. The trial began in September 2020.
For seeking the prison term, the prosecution cited how Lee denied all charges leveled against him when he was the chief decision-maker, and how benefited from the process.
The prosecution argues that Lee and company executives planned and executed a series of illegal steps in the process of merging the group's construction and fashion companies. The prosecutors allege the illegal processes allowed Lee to increase his control over the conglomerate.
Two senior Samsung executives, including Choi Gee-sung, a former head of Samsung's now-disbanded control tower Future Strategy Office, have also been charged. Prosecutors have asked them to be given prison sentences of 4 1/2 years and a 500 million won fine for related charges.
A ruling is expected in early 2024 at the earliest.
The Munich Philharmonic has set several milestones while in Korea.The orchestra made a rare Korea-ex ...
"A Day of Your Existence"By Park So-youngChangbi PublishersIn the latest novel by emerging sci-fi wr ...
The first snow of the season fell in many regions, including Seoul, Friday. The Korea Meteorological ...
- Fractional art market opens up to lure new investors
- S. Korea secures 5th consecutive term on UNESCO executive board
- Global asset firms flock to Jeonju to woo pension giant
- Seoul shares end nearly flat amid signs of cooling US inflation
- AmCham seminar explores health care as bigger part of Korea
- Snow crabs join bargain for crustaceans
P1Harmony expands reach in US with iHeartRadio Jingle Ball Tour
First snow of winter falls in Seoul
Nightmare before Christmas: 'rape announcement' issued at Seoul billboard
Negotiating members of Indo
[Korea Beyond Korea] Korean Studies gaining traction at Complutense University of Madrid
윤희숙 "20여년 억대 연봉 송영길이 돈 없다? 못된 버릇 때문"
- 'Justice will prevail': G
- 홍준표 "뜬금없이 김포 편입론, 반짝 특수 노리는 떴다방"
- US envoy vows to make clear 'inextricable' link between N. Korea's human rights abuses, threats
- Celltrion posts record earnings in Q3, buoyed by upbeat biosimilar sales
- Farm online, harvest offline: Virtual farming games attract inflation
- Kyobo Life chairman wins top industry honor
- 'Omega X will not give up': Boy band returns to share message of hope
- 선관위, 이준석 유튜브 멤버십 중지 요청…"정치자금법 위반 소지"
- Seoul shares open lower after record daily gain
- From Itaewon to Hollywood, Park Seo
- More relevant than ever, closer to original musical 'Rent' returns for 9th run
- Prosecutors seek 30
- T1, Faker unrivaled at 2023 LoL World Championship
- South Korea’s digital reputation dented by government network outage
- 이준석 “가해자 따로 있는데…인요한 ‘대리사과’ 황당 제안”
- Meritz carries out reshuffle for group synergy
- [Herald Interview] Food trade chief confident of winning official recognition of Kimchi Day in US
- 'Dancing woman' on Seoul street arrested for meth use
- "스벅 누가 마셔요"…중국서 스타벅스 꺾은 '이 브랜드'
- 6·25 따발총, 구식 불새
- King Charles welcomes South Korea's president with state banquet, mingles with K
- 김기현 “한동훈 자질, 대한민국 위해 잘 발휘될 수 있게 할 것”
- Mnet’s ‘Street Dance Girls Fighter 2’ targets global audience with multinational teen dancers
- Cemeteries, columbariums reinvent themselves as sanctuaries for the living
- Korea, UK to adopt Downing Street Accord to elevate ties: presidential office
- S. Korea hints at halt to 2018 inter
- LG Chem boosts diverse ESG campaigns
- BTS’ V, actor Yoo Seung
- [Our Museums] Exploring quirky yet thoughtful world of Mr. Toilet House
- Number of youth addicted to online gambling rises